Don't you just hate it when wake up in the morning and find out that you are late for work?
And then you try to think of an excuse to justify your lateness. You can always be honest but we assume that if you are reading this then you
might not be interested in the honesty option.
Don't get us wrong, this is not an invitation for you to be late for work. It is very important
to follow the rules and guideless at office. This is merely a summary of the most popular used "late for work" excuses. It is beneficial
for employers as well to note down when questioning the punctuality of their staff.
Listed below are two lists: one is for actual excuses that can be used by employees which employers should note down and the other for
excuses that should not be used at any circumstances.
Popular Late For Work Excuses That Work
- My alarm did not ring (battery gone, power off etc...)
- I had a small car accident on the way to work or I had a flat tire.
- My car/car part was broken or my car battery died so I couldn't start my car.
- There was an unusual traffic on the way to work.
- There was construction on the road so I had to take an alternative long way.
- I was not feeling well and could not come but forced myself to work anyway.
- I had a family death and could not come but forced myself to work anyway.
- Due to day light saving I forgot to adjust my alarm and woke up an hour late. (Works only once a year)
- Anything related to children (sickness, drive to school problems etc...)
- Weather issues: fog, snow, raining, storms etc...
- I could not find my car keys. (Silly but amazingly works).
- Somebody double parked my car.
- Home Problems: water leakage, electricity problems etc...
- The taxi/train/metro did not come on time or I could not find a taxi.
Late For Work Excuses That Do Not Work
- My husband/wife thinks it's funny to hide my car keys before he/she goes to work.
- My left turn signal was out so I had to make all right turns to get to work.
- I feel like I'm in everyone's way if I show up on time.
- I was stalking my previous boss, who fired me for showing up late for work. OK?
- I am not coming today because I tried to dye my hair blonde, but it came out green!
- My cat hid my car keys because he gets lonesome when I'm gone.
- I dropped my car keys in the snow and I'm waiting for the temperature to warm up so I can find them.
- My house was burning down and the fire truck blocked my driveway.
- We are open on Tuesdays?!?!?!
- I'm sorry, boss, but I had to stop to get you -- uh -- this box of ten donuts.
- I stopped for a sandwich, the store was robbed and the police required everyone to stay for questioning.
- I dreamed that I was fired, so I didn't bother to get out of bed.
- The lift took around 20 minutes to get to ground floor. It stops on every level. I will use the staircase in future.
- I was helping other people by waking up late in the morning and thus easing the traffic jam during the rush hour.
- I was searching for a new job.
- I don't think you saw me when I first came in an hour ago!
- I won't be coming into work today, or anymore. I just got an email saying that I may have won 20 million dollars.